American Osteopathic Association

Advancing the distinctive philosophy and practice of osteopathic medicine

Bureau of Osteopathic Specialists (BOS) History and Structure

The Bureau of Osteopathic Specialists (BOS) was organized in 1939 as the Advisory Board for Osteopathic Specialists to meet the needs resulting from the growth of specialization in the osteopathic profession. It was thought at that time that there should be standardization of postdoctoral education and regulations for certification in the various specialties or fields of practice. Therefore, the Board of Trustees of the American Osteopathic Association (AOA), through its agency, the Bureau of Osteopathic Specialists, became the certifying body. The body's name was changed from the Advisory Board to the Bureau in 1993.

 

 BOS Structure

 
  • Chair, appointed by the AOA president
  • Vice-chair, appointed by the AOA president
  • Non-voting secretary, AOA staff
  • One representative from each AOA-approved certifying board
  • One public member, appointed by the AOA president
The Chair and Vice-chair serve two-year terms; the other positions serve staggered three-year terms.